The Meeting of the Parish Council was held on Monday the 9th day of NOVEMBER 2015 at the Methodist Chapel, Bell Street – commencing 7.30 pm


COUNCILLORS PRESENT:  Mrs Batten (Chairwoman), Mr Lambert, (Vice Chair), Messrs Cock, Cooper, Leamon, Rayner and Storey (arrived 7.45 pm), Mrs Mills and Mrs Williams.  Also present 3 members of the public and Sq Leader Neilds.


APOLOGIES:  Received from Mrs Bane and Mrs McGeeney.




MINUTES of the last meeting were taken as read, agreed and duly signed by the Chairwoman. 


The Chair welcomed Mrs Hazel Williams to the meeting as the new councillor for the Anchor Ward.


PUBLIC SPEAKING:  The meeting was suspended for 2 minutes to allow members of the public to speak. 




1.  RAF Feltwell – Sq Leader Neilds asked for thanks to be passed on to the residents of Feltwell for their continued support since the fatal fighter jet crash near RAF Lakenheath three weeks ago and assured this was not taken for granted.  This is the third crash near the airfield in 23 months.  He informed the meeting that night-flying will be taking place throughout November until April 2016, with a big push in November before the bad weather starts.  He apologised for the traffic on the B1112 Monday morning causing the Eriswell roundabout to be slow moving and said this was due to vehicles entering via Gate 2 and that vehicles cannot go through any faster.  However, he felt that this was also due to the sheer weight of traffic at this time, emphasising the need for more development and infrastructure.  Mrs Mills asked for an update on Trenchard Square but Sq Leader Neilds said he couldn’t provide one as the air crash had taken priority.  Mr Lambert informed Sq Leader Neilds that the drainage system has been repaired at the junction of Blackdyke Road so there should be no more flooding there.  Mr Lambert enquired whether the Base is going to construct a footpath from The West End to the corner, and said hedges along the current pathway need trimming back.  Sq Leader Neilds will make enquiries.


2.  SNT – Email received.  1 crime reported; Hythe Road (allotments) – padlocks cut to three sheds and various items stolen.


3.  Risk Assessment – Mrs Bane was not present therefore a report was not submitted.  Next report to be carried out by Mrs Bane.  Clerk said the Junior Football Club manager had reported glass bottles on the pitch 1/11/15.  The dugout has also been vandalised.  The sign regarding “No Dogs, Litter etc” has been removed and handed to Clerk.  Parts ordered for the cantilever swing and zip wire will be fitted by the end of the week.


4.  Balance Sheet – No queries.


5.  Allotment Pest Control – Monthly report received.




6.  NALC – Weekly updates.  AGM now taking place Wednesday 6th January at The Edwards Room, County Hall followed by a Special General Meeting.  The Autumn Conference for Clerks & Councillors will take place on Thursday 12th November.  Several introductory courses are being run throughout November and December for new clerks and councillors.  The dates given are not suitable to the Clerk but more dates will be available.


7.  Skate Park – Carried forward to the next meeting.  Mrs Batten said that if no information is forthcoming before the end of December 2015 then this may have to be shelved.


8.  Pensions Regulator – Clerk stated that as neither her, the litter collector nor the handyman fall into the criteria of being automatically enrolled (they earn less than £192/week), a pension scheme does not have to be set up at present.  However, staff must be written to within 6 weeks after the staging date (1st March 2016), informing them that although they have not been enrolled automatically, they can ask to join if they wish.  If any member of staff earns over £112/week, the parish council are obliged to contribute to the scheme as well.


9.  Report to Highways – As there are no outstanding highways issues, it was felt that a meeting with Karl Rands was not necessary at this time. 


10.  Play Equipment Inspection – Clerk has put fundraising request for polycarbonate panel into Parish Magazine and School Newsletter but has had no response.  Mrs Batten said that unless anybody comes forward to fundraise, the teen shelter should remain in its current state until the new budget in April when purchasing a replacement panel can be discussed again.  Mrs Batten proposed, all in favour.  Mr Lambert to liaise with Barry Batten regarding pushing the gate posts back this week.


11.  Bench – Mr Waters has been unable to lay the concrete slab due to other work commitments and has suggested postponing this to the Spring.  The bench is flat-packed so it was felt this could still be ordered and stored in the changing rooms until Spring.


12.  Mr & Mrs Massingham – No response as yet as to when the tree will be removed.


13.  Briefing sessions (i) Local Plan – Site Allocations & Development Management Policies Development Plan Document (ii) 5 year land supply – Mr Storey said progress is being made at a fast pace.  Evidence regarding the soundness of the following proposed residential development sites to be discussed on Tuesday 17th November at 9.30 am in the Wembley Room at Lynnsport: Rear of 24 Oak Street, Land north of Munson’s Lane, 40 Lodge Lane/Skye Gardens.


14. Ranger Visit – Took place w/c 19th October 2015.  Pathway from High Street to Paynes Lane has been cleared of weeds.


15. Parish Partnership Scheme – This is on hold until next year.


16. Proposed Post Office Relocation – Clerk read out emailed response from The Post Office stating that parking and traffic concerns would be given full consideration.  Mr Cock asked if The One Stop has to apply for permission for Change of Use and Mrs Batten said that it should but this wouldn’t necessarily be brought before the Parish Council.  Mr Leamon said he was not against the relocation as the longer opening hours would suit him.




Mr Cock said that as Parish Councillors, they must look at the bigger picture and the effect the relocation would have on the whole community.  Mr Storey said there are aspects that are favourable such as a wider doorway with a flat surface but could see that parking would be a problem. He concluded that in his position as Borough Councillor, he would take into consideration public opinion and make his decision accordingly.  The deadline for public consultation ends 12th November 2015.


17. Community Speed Watch Group – Mr Rayner said he had received two telephone calls from the public.  Mrs Williams enquired about the vetting system and Mrs Batten explained that Mr Rayner would do this together with the Norfolk Police.  She stressed that this scheme would have no connection with the Parish Council.  Mr Rayner to keep councillors informed of any further willing participants.


18. Highways – Road sweeper has not been up to Newcombe Drive although the weeds have now been sprayed.  The road at the entrance is breaking up.  White lines on Old Brandon Road still need replacing.  Footpath to playing field is still very uneven.  Clerk to report.


19. Hedge Cutting – Hedge has been trimmed along the road from the West End to the Base but it was felt this was not done adequately.  Clerk to contact Base.  Bushes belonging to 2 Short Lane have been cut back.  Clerk has contacted Orbit Housing regarding the hedge along Wilton Road but nothing has been done as yet.  Clerk to chase.


20. Grass Cutting Contract – Mr Cock asked if the Memorial Garden could be cut with clippings removed, Mr Lambert asked for care to be taken regarding all headstones when the grass is being cut.  Clerk to get prices to put tender in the Lynn News, Eastern Daily Press and Bury Free Press.  Clerk said she had been contacted by several contractors and will write to them to ask them to tender.  Overall, the Parish Council has not been happy with the contractors this year.


21. Circus Tyanna – Wish to return to Feltwell 10th – 13th April.  Mrs Batten proposed, all in favour. Clerk to enquire which facilities they need. 


22. Lamp Post – Clerk to write to driver to obtain his insurance details and make him aware that he has damaged council property so the parish council will be claiming for damage.  Letter to be sent Recorded Delivery.  Clerk presented prices for new streetlights.


23. Playing Field Gate – Resident from Crabbes Close and Mr Peckham have been opening/closing the gate and using a padlock to secure it and anti-social behaviour has decreased.




24. NCC – Emails received - Protect yourself and your family with the flu jab and nasal spray; The Majors Design Awards 2016; Help us find the Borough’s Unsung Heroes; Norfolk Silica Sand Review of the Minerals Site Specific Allocations Plan – Preferred Options Consultation

25. Invitation – To attend a play called “No More”, about domestic abuse and sexual violence, at Downham Market Town Hall on 23rd November and brought to us by BCKLWN.




26. Invitation – To attend Yuletide Reception, RAF Mildenhall, Friday 4th December –Mrs Batten accepted.

27. Viridor – Change of schedule from Tuesdays to Thursdays.

28. ISO Certification

29. Email – Bus Shelters – Installed cost of £3000

30. Brochures – Parish Magazine, Clerks & Councils Direct

31. Flyers - Broxap


32. CHEQUES - Were signed for the following – J Martin £664.52, S Sargent £137.64, L Peckham £40.00, Cash £10.00, Methodist Church £23.38, Viridor £96.48, G Smith £36.00, Post Office Ltd (SSE) £592.99, BT £101.82, Berryman £55,08, CGM £777.60 - this is for Japanese Knotweed control and is to be cancelled with immediate effect.  Mr Storey asked if Mr Cock would be happy to treat the knotweed as and when required to which Mr Cock replied that he would.  Chair proposed, all in favour.


33. PLANNING – Central Garage – Change of use from car showroom (sui generic) into gym/fitness studio at Central Garage, 42-44 High Street – NO OBJECTIONS, Mr Manjit Benning – New shop front, new windows and wider automatic door at Spar, 25 High Street – NO OBJECTIONS.




34. Highways – Pothole at junction of The Beck with Oak Street.  One Way Sign urgently required at junction of Hall Close onto The Beck.  Clerk to contact Highways.


35. Wall growth – Growth needs to be trimmed back along Bell Street.  Clerk to contact builders.


36. Complaint – Resident reported vandalism at her property in Newcombe Drive on Friday 30th October.  Clerk advised her to contact Police.


37. NCC – Re-imagining Norfolk – Strategic & Financial Planning 2016/19 – Letter received.  Mr Storey explained that due to budgets being cut, NCC are looking at better ways of spending money to move Norfolk forward as a whole instead of cutting vital services, and asked if anyone had any views on this to contact him direct.


38. Southery Part-Time Weight Restriction – Clerk read out email stating the permanent Traffic Regulation Order to the effect that vehicles above 7.5 tonnes would not be permitted to use the B1160 through Southery in either direction during the hours of 00.00 Saturday through to 24.00 Sunday and 08.00 to 09.30 Monday to Friday inclusive.


39. Pay Review – Clerk advised that her 6-month probationary period has now ended and asked if the Parish Council would consider a pay review.  Clerk to bring NALC Pay Scale to next meeting.


40. Sun & Soil – This company has identified Parish Council land south side of Old Brandon Road as a possible location for energy storage with the possibility of earning £5000/year for every Ό acre leased to them.  The area highlighted on the enclosed map is approximately ½ an acre.  To be discussed at next meeting.




41. Parking – Mr Leamon asked if anything could be done about vehicles parking on the pavement along the church side of St Mary’s Street as he had seen several people with pushchairs having to come out into the road as vehicles were obstructing the path.  He suggested wooden bollards such as those outside Londis.  Mrs Batten reported a car that has been parked on the memorial side of the road which had been there for days.  Clerk to contact Highways regarding this.


42. Remembrance Service – Chair laid wreath.  Although there was again a good turnout, concern was expressed about the lack of police presence during the parade and that roads were not blocked off.  Mr Cock spoke of his intention to join the British Legion and said that he will request police presence for next year.  Mrs Batten said that if the police are not willing to do this, then possibly the Parish Council could do it.  Mrs Batten also expressed disappointment that “The Last Post” was not played.  Clerk to contact Squadron Leader Neilds to enquire if the Base can possibly provide a bugler to play this at next year’s service.


Next meeting to be held on Monday 14th December 2015 at 7.30 pm.


Meeting declared closed 8.50 pm.






Planning applications were received as follows and presented to Mr Lambert, Mr Cooper and Mrs McGeeney on Thursday 12th November:-


9/11/15  Mr Tom Edwards – Utility extension and new roof over existing kitchen at 4 High

Street - No objections


10/11/15  Mr Tom Edwards – Conversion of barn/outhouse to dwelling at 4 High Street – No objections


10/11/15  Mr & Mrs S Stroud – Reserved matters application for new dwelling at South of Hill Street, 21 Hill Street – No objections


10/11/15  Mrs C Hubbard – Single storey extension at rear of dwelling at Daisy Barn, 42 Long Lane – No objections