The Meeting of the Parish Council was held on Monday the 11th day of APRIL 2016 at the Methodist Chapel, Bell Street – commencing 7.30 pm


COUNCILLORS PRESENT:  Mrs Batten (Chairwoman), Mr Lambert, (Vice Chair), Messrs Cock, Cooper, Leamon, Rayner, Storey and Mrs Bane.  Also present 9 members of the public and Sq Leader Neilds.


APOLOGIES:  received from Mrs McGeeney, Mrs Mills, Mrs Williams


DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:  Mr Cock declared an interest in the Local Plan.


MINUTES of the last meeting were taken as read, agreed and duly signed by the Chairwoman.  


PUBLIC SPEAKING:  The meeting was suspended for 10 minutes to allow members of the public to speak.  




1.      RAF Feltwell – Sq Leader Neilds said that after a busy March which saw approximately 1200 sorties fly over, April has been a lot quieter.  As there was nothing further to report, Sq Leader Neilds departed the meeting at 7.41 pm.


2.      SNT – No weekly crime reports have been received throughout April, again due to new software being installed, thus causing a reduced service.  Various Police Connect emails have been received (see Correspondence) but none relating to Feltwell.


3.      Risk Assessment – Mr Lambert carried out the playing field inspection on Saturday and reported lots of general litter lying around.  The field had been well cut but the goalmouths were particularly muddy.  The dugouts have now been removed.  The tennis court requires iron sulphate to be put down to kill the moss and they can then be swept.  Clerk to obtain iron sulphate.  The teen shelter is in a very poor condition and Mr Lambert felt it now requires a solid back, painted with graffiti-proof paint.  Footballers are still banging their boots on the pavilion wall as fresh mud was present here and also the slabs and railings were covered in mud which should be cleaned up when they leave.  Clerk to write to Football Club.  Mr Lambert asked for thanks to be passed on to Mr Batten as he had done an excellent job in repairing the west entrance.  The car park is looking better but has been churned up near the bins and railings, thought to have been caused by the bin lorries.  Clerk to send a letter to the company advising them to keep off the grass.  Lots of teenagers were on the baby swings but causing no trouble.   Algae and moss needs cleaning off the slide area.  Next inspection to be carried out by Mr Cooper.  Clerk has received renewal price of £30.00 for Norfolk Playing Fields Association subscription.  Mrs Bane proposed renewing this, Mr Cock seconded, all in favour. Clerk read out three quotations to carry out annual operational inspection of the play equipment; two were cheapest at a cost of £45.00 + VAT, one of which was Play Maintain who carried out last year’s inspection.  It was agreed the inspection was a necessary requirement for health and safety reasons and insurance purposes.  Mrs Bane proposed Play Maintain carry out the inspection, Mr Cock seconded, all in favour.


4.      Balance Sheet – No queries.  


5.      Allotment Pest Control – Invoice/report has been received from J&M Pest Control.


6.      NALC – Weekly updates have been circulated, including Planning Changes (document ref LAIS1388) which is a lengthy document detailing an important consultation for all local councils and including within it some major planning proposals.  The Housing & Planning Bill reached the Committee Stage in the House of Lords in March 2016 and local councils will wish to be aware that Government is progressing consultations on implementing legislation while the Bill passes through Parliament.  The consultation closes on 15th April 2016.  Subscription to Norfolk ALC has increased from £313.06 to £339.18 per year.  Mr Lambert proposed renewing, Mrs Bane seconded, all in favour.


7.      Skate Park – Mrs Bane advised that a bank account could not be opened in conjunction with the Parish Council’s Community Account and be a separate entity, therefore a new account will be opened entitled “Feltwell Skate Park Fund” which will have no connection with Feltwell Parish Council.  The meeting with Willscape had taken place and although there were not many people present, there was a good age range of children from 5 to 11 years.  The proposed skate park will cost £75,000 to buy and although its dimensions concur with Permitted Development Rights, Mrs Bane felt that planning permission should be obtained to give residents the opportunity to raise their objections.  A Fun Day has been arranged for Saturday 16th April to raise funds and a sponsored walk is taking place on Sunday 24th April.  The non-school uniform day at the primary school raised £194.00 and lottery boards have been placed in the local public houses.  An amount of approx £2600 which was raised for a previous skate park is sitting in a fund and will be transferred into the new bank account once it is open.  Further funding will not be sought until planning permission has been obtained.  Planning permission to be paid for as soon as funds are raised.  Mr Leamon proposed applying for planning permission, Mr Lambert seconded, all in favour.


8.      Play Equipment Inspection – Ongoing – Clerk to obtain prices for solid panel with graffitiproof paint for the teen shelter.  Chain link fencing has been fitted.


9.      Bench – Ongoing – Clerk to contact Mr Waters re available dates for laying concrete slabs.


10.  Briefing sessions (i) Local Plan – Site Allocations & Development Management Policies Development Plan Document (ii) 5 year land supply – Clerk has circulated an email detailing a consultation for the proposed main modifications to the SADMP for Feltwell, the main modification being the increase in residential development from 15 to at least 50 dwellings on land to the rear of Chocolate Cottage, 24 Oak Street, with access via Lodge Road.  This is in addition to the 40 properties to be built at Munsons Lane.  The consultation runs until the 18th May 2016.  Mrs Bane felt that some residents may not be aware of this and should have the opportunity to comment.  It was decided to advise residents, via the Parish Magazine, that this topic will be discussed at the Annual Parish Meeting in May which they are welcome to attend.  Clerk to contact Parish Magazine.


11.  Proposed Post Office Relocation – The Post Office on The Beck will shut on Tuesday 12th April and reopen within The One Stop the following day.  Mr Cooper stated that there is to be no postbox outside the new premises and Mrs Batten advised him to write directly to The Post Office if he was unhappy about this.  Mrs Batten proposed for a letter of thanks to be written to the current Post Mistress, Mrs Denby, for her services to the community.  All in favour.  Clerk to write to Post Mistress.


12.  Circus Tyanna – Arrived yesterday.  Mr Cock passed on their appreciation to the Parish Council for allowing them to have use of the field and water.


13.  Lamp Post – K&M Lighting still chasing UKPN to connect electricity supply.


14.  Wall growth/Parking – Parking situation is ongoing and being monitored.


15.  Highways – Clerk has chased Highways on numerous occasions about potholes in the village, the inadequate repair of the pothole along Hythe Road and recent repair work at Wilton Road which needs attention as the road has sunk again, but has had no response.  Mrs Batten said white lining had been carried out on Oakfields Estate over some existing potholes which she thought was a total waste of money.  Mr Storey will look into this further and advised the Clerk to contact Andrew Wallace.


16.  Street Light Replacement – Mrs Bane had suggested that the 9 streetlights along Wilton Road, the one at Oak Street and a further 8 down Lodge Road should be replaced first but as none of the Councillors had surveyed the lights a decision was not made.  However she also appreciated that lights on the footpaths along High Street and The Beck may need replacing first.  Clerk to look at accounts and estimate an amount to be allocated to new street lights.  Clerk has obtained a cheaper quote from an alternative supplier and was asked to obtain a sample.  Mrs Bane again asked the Councillors to have a walk around the village to view the current lights.


17.  Fence – Clerk has received an acknowledgement of the planning breach.


18.  Football Club Dugouts – As no-one from the football club was present and the Clerk had heard nothing more, the Chair proposed this item be taken off Matters Arising, all in favour.


19.  Handyman – Mrs Batten said that various jobs now need undertaking and believed a Handyman should be appointed.  Chair proposed advertising the position in the Parish Magazine.  All in favour.  Clerk to organise.


20.  Ranger Visit – Taking place w/c 18th April.  In addition to Hill Street, Oak Street and Bell Street also need weeding.  Clerk to inform Highways and request update after the visit.


21.  Special Expenses – As a result of cutbacks, the grass verge along Wilton Road will be cut mower width six times a season and the remaining area will be left to grow with the option of flailing once a year.  Mr Cock asked if the Parish could pay for 2/3 cuts during the season as he could foresee the Parish Council being inundated with complaints.  Clerk to obtain price from current grass maintenance contractors.


22.  Churchyard – Clerk has received an email from a resident complaining about the state of her father’s grave again following the recent grass cut.  Mrs Bane, Mr Lambert and the Clerk have been to inspect the churchyard and Mrs Batten has since met with the Church Warden, Christine Parker, to discuss the situation.  Mrs Batten also obtained a copy of Churchyard Regulations which she presented at the meeting.  Mrs Parker was in attendance and informed the meeting that the Churchyard belongs to the Church and only the gravestones belong to the residents.  Mrs Parker is satisfied with the grass cutting but said that Churchyard Regulations had not been adhered to for a while and that due to the complaints now being received, a copy will be put in the Parish Magazine and in future, loved ones of the newly deceased will also receive a copy.  She requested that if any further complaints were received, they should be directed to her as although the Parish Council pay for the grass cutting of the churchyard, it is ultimately the Church’s responsibility.  Clerk to write to resident explaining this.  Mrs Parker is also forming a working party to level off any graves that have sunk.


23.  Clerk’s Desk – Clerk reported that her desk drawer has collapsed and is not repairable.  She had contacted the Chair and Vice-chair who had asked her to bring prices for a new desk to the meeting.  Mr Cock proposed purchasing a desk for £99.99 from Argos as long as this met the Clerk’s needs, Mr Cooper seconded, all in favour.


24.  Business Savings Account- Clerk reported the increasingly difficultly she has experienced in order to transfer money from the BSA to the Community Account.  On the last few occasions of producing the letter of authorisation at the bank, the Thetford Manager had to be contacted to approve the transaction and on the last occasion was not available therefore the money could not be transferred until the Clerk had complained later that day.  Mr Lambert suggested that money is transferred every six months so that this is not such an issue every month.  Mrs Batten proposed, all in favour.




28.  NCC – Emails received – newly digitalised photographs available at  

29.  Norfolk Police Connect –Various emails received, none relating to Feltwell.

30.  BCKLWN – Police & Crime Commissioner Election 5th May 2016 and further email re

Statement of persons nominated – displayed on noticeboard

31.  BCKLWN – National Non-Domestic Rate Demand for Changing Rooms & Premises – nil for 2016/17

32.  UKPN – Info re power cut enquiries.  Additional email about a Free Priority Services Register for those requiring more during a power cut.  Poster requested for noticeboard and forwarded information to the Parish Magazine

33.  Came & Company – Spring Council Matters

34.  Anglian Water – Launch of Pollution Watch campaign

35.  Brochures – Parish Magazine


36.  CHEQUES - Were signed for the following – J Martin £812.23, S Sargent £141.51,

L Peckham £70.00, Cash £10.00, Methodist Church £12.75, Barry Batten £74.99, BT £55.43,

Post Office Ltd (SSE) £574.61, Post Office Ltd (PAYE) £319.26, Anglian Water £72.73, Viridor £155.88, John Rolph (J&M Pest Control) £50.00, Environment Agency £36.66.  BT mandate was also signed.


37. PLANNING – Conversion of barns to create 3 dwellings at Hall Farm Barns, 11 Lodge Road – APPROVED.  Email from NCC advising date brought forward to 1st June 2016 for all consultations to be electronically received although paper versions can still be obtained at a small cost.  Further email regarding drop in sessions to assist with this which Mr Storey advised all Councillors to attend.  Email received re Consultation on Norfolk Housing & Economic Land Availability Assessments which are key evidence documents which support the preparation of Local Plans; document and response form can be found at who are hosting the consultation on behalf of each Norfolk authority.




38. Royal British Legion – Enquiry received re whether the Parish Council have anything planned to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday on the 10th June.  The Parish Council has not therefore the RBL will organise something.




39.              Bins – Complaint re bins being left out at Hall Close which are causing a hazard to pedestrians.  Clerk to write to residents.


40.              St Nicholas Church Wall – The wall is badly in need of repair and a request was received from a resident for something to be done about it.  St Mary’s is technically responsible for the wall but is not in a financial position to pay for repairs.  The Church is part of the community and the resident asked if there is anything that the community could do to fund the repair.  To be discussed at next meeting.  


41.              Wall – The walls at 23 The Beck and Lawn House, 25 The Beck look to be in a dangerous state.  Clerk to write to owners.


42.              Flag Pole – The flag pole at the memorial is leaning and in need of a paint.  Mr Cock said it requires letting down and taking apart.  Small group to be formed to have a look at it.


43.              Wreaths – Mr Cock had removed the wreaths from the memorial and brought them to the meeting so that everyone could see the poor condition they were in.  This was to reinforce the decision made in August 2015 that the end of March is the right time to remove them, not September which had also been suggested.


44.              War Memorial – The lettering on the memorial needs repainting.  Mr Lambert thought this should be professionally painted.  Clerk to obtain prices.


45.              Burger Van – A request from Breakaway Burgers has been received to ask if they can place their burger van on the playing field on a Monday night.


46.              Southern Electric – Supplier contract ends 31st May 2016 and renewal price has been received.  Clerk to obtain other quotes.


Next meeting to be held on Monday 9th May 2015.  Annual Parish Meeting starts at 7.00 pm followed by Annual Meeting of Parish Council.  Accounts will be on show from 6.45 pm.


Meeting declared closed 9.00 pm.