The Meeting of the Parish Council was held on Monday the 13th day of MARCH 2017 at the Methodist Chapel, Bell Street – commencing 7.30 pm


COUNCILLORS PRESENT:  Mrs Batten (Chairwoman), Mr Lambert (Vice Chair), Mrs  Williams, Messrs Storey, Cock, Cooper and Rayner.  Also present 3 members of the public and Sq Leader Neilds.


APOLOGIES:  Received from Mrs Bane, Mr Leamon and Mrs McGeeney.




MINUTES:  Minutes of the last meeting were taken as read, agreed and duly signed by the Chairwoman.  


PUBLIC SPEAKING:  The meeting was suspended for 1 minute to allow members of the public to speak.  




1.      RAF Feltwell – Sq Leader Neilds said investigations are still ongoing for firing and demolition activities to be relocated and apologised for the time this was taking.  Flying has decreased.  Sq Leader departed the meeting at 7.34 pm.


2.      SNT –Various Police Connect emails have been received.  No crime reports for Feltwell.


3.      Risk Assessment – Mr Storey apologised as he had not realised it was his turn to carry out the risk assessment but offered to do April’s.  Mr Cock submitted his report to the Clerk the day after February’s Parish Council meeting and notable but ongoing hazards were that the car park needs levelling, tennis court surface needs attention and that trees should be monitored following high winds.  Subsequently, two trees were severely damaged by ‘Storm Doris’ and following authorisation from the Councillors, the Clerk instructed Mr Willett of Denver Tree Services to fell the trees at a cost of £350.  Mr Cock assisted with this and Mr Storey thanked him on behalf of the Parish Council.  Mr Willett also pulled the bush away from the wooden fence it had fallen onto and no damage has been reported by the owner.  An email has been received from one of the Junior FC Managers reference damage caused to the football pitch by the tractor Mr Cock was driving when assisting Mr Willett.  Several Councillors have looked at the pitch and the consensus was that the damage was minimal and that the bigger concern was making the playing field safe from the fallen trees.  A further message from another manager asking if the Parish Council could spike and roll the pitch was received.  Mr Storey said that as the Parish Council does not have the tools for this, they would be unable to help but that he would be willing to assist with a tractor if the football team were able to supply them.  Three quotes were received for the annual playground operational inspection; Playmaintain and Wicksteed were the cheapest at £45 + VAT.  Mrs Batten proposed Playmaintain as they have always provided an efficient and good service, all in favour.   


4.      Balance Sheet – No queries.


5.      Allotment Pest Control – Report received for February.  Annual report was also supplied and Mr Rolph had informed the Clerk that there would be no price increase going forward.


6.      NALC – Weekly newsletters and updates have been circulated.


7.      Skate Park – Mrs Bane was absent so no update available. 




8.      Briefing sessions (i) Local Plan – Site Allocations & Development Management Policies Development Plan Document (ii) 5 year land supply – No further news.  


9.      Highways – Mrs Batten, Mr Cock, Mr Lambert and the Clerk met with Andy Wallace from Highways to discuss several concerning issues.  Mr Wallace surveyed Hythe Road and will ask his Safety Officer to take another look.  Clerk still has heard nothing back about the siting of the poles along Southery Road and asked Mr Wallace to look into this.  Further bollards will be installed at Hall Farm Close to prevent vehicles parking over the water meters.  Old Brandon Road is still in a poor state and Clerk will contact Highways again.  


10.  Street Light Replacement – Ongoing.


11.  Ranger Visit – Mr Storey said Andy Wallace had assured him the rangers are in the village every month for half a day.  Mrs Batten said the rangers had not been in the village for several months and asked the Clerk to arrange a meeting with them at the time of the next visit.


12.  War Memorial – Re-lettering work due to start Thursday 16th March, weather permitting.


13.  ‘STOP’ Signs – During his visit, Mr Wallace surveyed this junction and agreed that white lines need repainting.  The ‘Give Way’ sign needs adjusting so that it is more prominent and the light above needs fixing.  White lines will also be renewed on St Mary’s Street near to the Hill Street junction and continuing round to The Beck.


14.  Explosions from Base – See Item 1.


15.  Adopt a Kiosk/Defibrillator – Chair signed the order for the defibrillator and cabinet at a cost of £1995.00 + £25.00 carriage which should arrive within 2-3 weeks and Mr Rayner will organise installation with a local electrician.


16.  Dog Bin – Dog bin has been installed just outside the entrance to the playing field car park.  Licence has been received for placing the dog bin along Long Lane.  However, on viewing the fence outside the Chinese, the Handyman recommended a post be purchased as the bin would be too loose.  Cost of post and fixings is £40.17.  Mrs Batten proposed purchasing a post, all in favour.  Mr Cock proposed purchasing another dog bin for Old Brandon Road, position to be agreed, Mr Cooper seconded, all in favour.  Clerk to organise.


17.  Email re Speeding – Clerk has contacted Norfolk Constabulary Freedom of Information for results of the speed awareness camera along Lodge Road on the 8th February.


18.  Dogs on Playing Field – Ongoing.  An update will be given following a review of responses to the proposed amendment to include all fenced in children’s play/recreational areas.


19.  Hedge cutting – the Base – Email received from Rene Garner stating that the hedge  along Blackdyke is not part of the Grounds Contract on Base and that this would only be cut if the Base are prepared to pay for it.  Mr Lambert said Mrs Garner had previously agreed for this to be cut and as this is a dangerous situation, and the hedge is on the original Base perimeter before the chain link fencing was put it, it is their responsibility to cut it.  Mr Cock said the Elder bushes on the bend next to Trenchard Square also need cutting back as they are causing drivers to dangerously swerve onto the other side of the road towards oncoming traffic.  Clerk to contact Mrs Garner.




20.  Grass Cutting Contract – Mrs Batten, the Clerk and Mr Parker from the PCC met with Tom Duchesne at St Nicholas Churchyard and were satisfied that TOP Garden Services will take due care and attention when cutting around the graves.  Clerk has spoken with the complainant and as long as no further damage is sustained, they do not wish to take the complaint further.


21.  Overhanging Hedge – Hedge has been cut.


22.  Review Financial Standing Orders – No amendments so these will remain the same.  Mr Rayner proposed, Mr Cooper seconded, all in favour.


23.  Junior Football Club Request – An email has been received from Mr Richard Williams, Manager of Feltwell’s Under 9’s Football Team, asking for permission to store his petrol lawnmower in the store room of the Changing Rooms.  All Councillors were of the opinion that Mr Williams should not be using his petrol lawnmower on the playing field as he has no public liability insurance to do so.  Clerk to write back to Mr Williams.  


24.  Enquiry re Property for Sale on Edmund Moundeford Road – Email received from resident asking why a property is being advertised for sale on the open market at £150,000 when she was of the understanding that the land on which the property was built was sold cheaply to Orbit Housing Association back in 1992 specifically to build properties to rent at an affordable cost for those unable to buy.  Furthermore, she asked how many more of the dwellings are privately owned.  At present, Clerk has been unable to locate the documentation regarding the sale but has spoken with Orbit Housing who have paused the sale while they consult their legal documents and confirmed that no other property is privately owned.  Clerk is also awaiting a response from the solicitors as to whether a covenant was included in the conveyance of the land.  Mr Lambert felt strongly that the houses should remain affordable rental properties and asked the Clerk to inform all Councillors when paperwork has been received as a Special Meeting may need to be held.


25.  Rugby Promotion – Emailed received from Mr Andy Soanes, a resident of Feltwell and also a committee member of Thetford Rugby Club, requesting permission to use Feltwell Playing Field one evening to demonstrate Touch Rugby.  The Councillors were very much in favour of this so Clerk will request a Risk Assessment and copy of insurance documentation from Mr Soanes.




26.  Norfolk Police Connect – Various emails received and circulated 

27.  Op Randall Rural Crime – Newsletters received and circulated as appropriate

28.  BCKLWN – Email - from Sarah Moore, Operations Manager attaching maps with legends showing land ownership in Feltwell (details circulated to all Parish Councillors)

29.  TWR Accountants – Email – March Tax Tips & News

30.  UK Power Networks – Email – ‘Preparing your local electricity network for Storm Doris’ 31. Norfolk Biodiversity Partnership – Email – The Community Biodiversity Awards nominations deadline 30/4/17.  More information can be found at 

32.  Badges Plus – Email – Advertising their services

33.  Independent Memorial Inspection – Email – Advertising services 

34.  Brochures – Parish Magazine; Broxap, Clerks & Councils Direct


35.  CHEQUES – Were signed for the following – J Martin £835.21, S Sargent £79.20, T George £12.80, Cash £10.00, Methodist Church £12.75, Viridor £119.52, Berryman £5.40,

Post Office Ltd (SSE) £378.46, John Rolph £50.00, Glasdon UK £255.85, B M Willett

(Denver Tree Services) £350.00


36.  PLANNING – Mr Barwell Field, Southery Road Farm, Ploughmans Drove – Installation of AD facility – APPROVED; Mr & Mrs Reeve, 6 Nightingale Lane  – Single storey side extension and changes to existing rear elevation and new painted rendering to all sides of bungalow – REFUSED due to rendering not being in keeping with all other properties on the Oakfields estate; Mrs T Smith, Silver Cottage, 6 Hill Street – Variation of Condition 2 of planning permission 15/00614/F to improve design aesthetic – APPROVED; Mr P Prince, 96 Lodge Road – Conversion of store to dwelling – APPROVED; Mr D Heath, 32 Paynes Lane – Side and rear extensions and porch – APPROVED.  On 7th March, the following was APPROVED – Warren Energy Ltd, Methwold Farm – Retrospective application to amend/expand site to accommodate revised layout, variation to Condition 1 of planning permission C/2/2016/2019.




37.  Highways – Mr Cooper said he had not seen the road sweeper in the village for months.  Mr Storey said this should be done every 12-14 weeks.  Clerk to write to Highways and obtain schedule.  Hill Street will be closed from 22nd – 28th March due to new electrical connection work, diversion is via Methwold Hythe.


38.  Resignation – Clerk informed the meeting that Mrs Mills has resigned.  Clerk to write a letter of thanks to Mrs Mills for her services to the Feltwell parish and to inform the Borough Council.


39.  National Living Wage – Increases from £7.20 to £7.50 as of 1st April 2017.  Clerk to inform litter collector.


 Next meeting to be held on Monday 10th April 2017 at 7.30 pm.


Meeting declared closed 8.45 pm.