The Meeting of the Parish Council was held on Monday the 11th day of SEPTEMBER 2017 at the Methodist Chapel, Bell Street – commencing 7.30 pm


COUNCILLORS PRESENT:  Mrs Batten, Messrs Cock, Cooper, Lambert, Rayner and Storey (Mr Storey arrived 8.25pm), Mrs Arnold, Mrs Bane, Mrs Enefer-Harrison and Mrs McGeeney.  Also present 4 members of the public and Squadron Leader Neild.


APOLOGIES:  Received from Mr Leamon.


DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:  Mr Cock declared an interest in Planning.


MINUTES:  Minutes of the last meeting were taken as read, agreed and duly signed by the Chairwoman.  


PUBLIC SPEAKING:  The meeting was suspended for 2 minutes to allow members of the public to speak.


The Chair welcomed Mrs Faye Enefer-Harrison to the meeting as a new Parish Councillor for the Anchor Ward.




1.      RAF FeltwellSq Leader Neild apologised for the mix up in communication which led to the Clerk receiving an email from a resident complaining that she had not been notified of the explosions which took place Wednesday 6th September and of the damage these cause.  In future, the EOD will endeavour to inform the Clerk in good time to notify residents of these activities.  Mrs Bane asked if there was an update regarding Trenchard Square but Sq Leader said he had not been able to make progress with this and mentioned that it had now been 2½ years since it had been handed over.  Mr Lambert asked whether the overgrown verge outside Trenchard Square could be cut as the Borough Council does not claim responsibility for this.  He also mentioned the bush protruding on the corner of Blackdyke Road.  Sq Leader will take a look and speak to Rene Garner again.  Sq Leader Neild departed the meeting at 7.38 pm.


2.      SNT –Various Police Connect emails have been received, none relating to Feltwell.


3.      Risk Assessment – Mrs McGeeney said she was happy with the general condition of the field and there were no issues to raise.  Clerk to obtain prices for ‘CCTV In Operation’ signs.  Clerk has been contacted by the owner of Corner Lodge regarding a tree on the field which the owner believes is causing damage to his wall and footpath.  Clerk to organise tree surgeon to come out and assess it.  Clerk to carry out next Playing Field inspection.   


4.      Balance Sheet – No queries.  


5.      Allotment Pest Control – Reports received for August.  


6.      NALC – Weekly newsletters and updates have been circulated.


7.                  Skate Park – Mrs Bane reported that the application to Sport England for a grant of £35,000 has been successful and she is working with Adam Garford, Sports Development Manager at Alive Leisure in King’s Lynn to source additional funding.  The total project cost is £75,000 + VAT.  She asked if the Skate Park could operate as a sub-committee of the Parish Council so that VAT can be reclaimed and said that monies from the Skate Park Fund account would be transferred to the Parish Council’s Community Account to cover the total cost of the project. Mrs Bane said any surplus funds would go towards the playing field, i.e. resurfacing of the car park.  Mr Lambert said this sounded reasonable as the project is for the community and will be a parish asset.  He proposed the Skate Park Fund operates as a sub-committee of the Parish Council, Mr Cock seconded, all in favour.  Mrs Bane asked if any another Parish Councillors would like to be on the sub-committee and Mrs Enefer-Harrison volunteered.


8.      Briefing sessions (i) Local Plan – Site Allocations & Development Management Policies

Development Plan Document (ii) 5 year land supply – Mr Storey said he attended the meeting on 24th April 2017 and advised that the plan will guide development in the borough from 2016 to 2036 and policies would reflect local needs.


9.      Highways – Clerk said that according to the Borough Council, some roads in the village cannot be swept due to the amount of weeds present and they advised contacting Norfolk County Council.  

Automated response received from NCC stating “action has been identified to resolve the issue”.  Mrs Batten suggested asking the handyman if he would be willing to undertake this task.  Grip orders have been submitted to the contractor and grips should be cleared in due course.   


10.  Street Light Replacement – 19 new street lights are due in stock soon and will be fitted by K&M Lighting.  Feltwell Museum has requested a couple of the redundant lights.


11.  Ranger Visit – Clerk has spoken with Andrew Wallace who said that the Rangers are only allocated ½ a day to carry out the work listed and are unable to complete all tasks due to the sheer quantity of work required.  Next ranger visit scheduled for week commencing 16th October 2017.  


12.  War Memorial – Grant money of £190.00 has been received from War Memorials Trust towards the relettering work carried out in May which cost a total of £250.00.  Clerk advised that Historic England has decided to include the War Memorial on the statutory list of Buildings of Special or Historic Interest from 11th August 2017.


13.  Defibrillator – Mrs Batten said she found the training session to be very informative and asked the Clerk to obtain a ‘Message in a Bottle’ box, a scheme run by The Lions.


14.  Dogs on Playing Field – Clerk advised that the current order for exclusion of dogs, except assistance dogs, from fenced in play areas would be in place until December 2018.  At present, Feltwell Playing Field is not on this order but when the order has been amended/renewed next Summer, it will include all fenced-in play areas in the Borough.


15.  Enquiry re Property for Sale on Edmund Moundeford Road – No response as yet.


16.  Website – Having spoken with Mr Garland, Mr Rayner asked if he could build a new Parish Council website.  Mrs Batten proposed, all in favour.  Mr Rayner will consult NALC for their guidance on this.  When the website is operational, Clerk will write to Mr Garland to thank him for the excellent service he has provided over the years.


17.  Alleyway – Hedge belonging to 23 Archers Avenue has still not been cut and the Clerk has had no response from the owner.  Mr Lambert said the nesting period is now over and so it can now be cut.  Mrs Batten said that all hedges neighbouring footpaths and alleyways should be cut back from top to bottom to the property line.  Clerk to put piece in Parish Magazine.


18.              Allotment Report – Mr Storey wished to discuss, in an open forum, a complaint made by a tenant against all members of the Allotment Committee.  Mr Storey said the complaint had cost the parish £200 for extra work caused to the Clerk and this is the first time this has ever happened. The tenant had complained to the legal section of the Borough Council and each member of the Allotment Committee had been cited.  The conclusion was that the Allotment Committee had acted in a proper and correct manner and therefore there was no case to answer.  Mrs Batten said a lot of anxiety and stress had been caused and people’s good names sullied.  As all members had been exonerated, it was strongly felt this should be brought to the public’s attention and put in the Parish Magazine.  Mr Storey went on to report that vermin is in hand now and a good job is being done.  Mrs Bane asked if tenants with chickens should pay extra rent.  Clerk to investigate whether this is a possibility.  Mr Storey said the vacant areas at the allotments need spraying and rotavating periodically then thanked Mr Cock for all his unpaid work at the allotments and said were it not for him the cost to the parish would increase tremendously.  Mr Cock said he was pro-allotments and liked to see them being used.  The next inspection will take place in March by Mrs Bane.


19.  Verges – Clerk to enquire who is responsible for cutting the verge outside Hall Farm Barns as this is very overgrown and untidy.


20 Parish Partnership Scheme Initiative – Clerk read out a letter from a Lodge Road resident asking if a footpath could be instated near Breckland Farm.  This was discussed and it was felt that from past quotes for footpaths, this would not be something the Parish Council could afford and as it was a safety issue, a request should be made to the Borough Council.  However, it was felt that a SAM2 speed sign could possibly be purchased for this road through the Parish Partnership Scheme.  Clerk to obtain price and write back to resident.


21.  Overgrowth on Wall – No response yet from Grantchester Construction, Clerk to pursue.


22.  Plaque – Mr Cock said this is with the Handyman who will reinstate this shortly.


23.  Insurance Renewal – Clerk read out three prices for insurance which expires 30 September 2017.  The cheapest quote was Inspire Insurance, put forward by Came & Company, at a cost of £1213.30 for one year.  Mrs Batten proposed, all in favour.  Clerk to organise paperwork.


24.  Hedge Cutting – Clerk read out email from resident advising that part of the hedge that runs behind Edmund Moundeford Road had been cut down.  Clerk to ascertain who is responsible for the hedge.


25.  Bus Shelter, Lodge Road – Clerk has been contacted by Intermodal Transportation re the cost to relocate the bus shelter with regards to the proposed development to the rear of 24 Oak Street.  Mrs Batten said it was not the responsibility of the Parish Council to undertake this work and that if the bus shelter needs to be moved then this work should be undertaken by the Client, although the Parish Council should instruct where it is to be relocated. 




26.  Norfolk Police Connect – Various emails received and circulated 

27.  Op Randall Rural Crime – Newsletters received and circulated as appropriate

28.  Norfolk Constabulary – Email – Denton Parish Newsletter (circulated 10/8/17); Downham

Market SNAP Meeting Minutes 2/8/2017 (circulated 30/8/17), next meeting 4/10/17

29.  Norfolk County Council – Email - Highways England roadshows a “golden opportunity” to show strength of public feeling on need for A47 improvements

30.  Breckland District Council – Email – Local Plan Pre-submission Document

31.              Elizabeth Truss MP – Letter advising that the MP would be delighted to meet the Parish Council to discuss any issues or concerns.  Poster to be displayed.  

32.  Seafarers UK – Email - Making the most of Merchant Navy Day!

33.  TWR Accountants – Email – September 2017 Tax Tips and News

34.  Campaign to Protect Rural England – Email – Vision for Norfolk details 

35.  UKPN – Email – Invitation to UKPN Roadshows at various locations (29/9/17 – 9/10/17)

36.  Macmillan Coffee & Cake Afternoon – Email – Homestead Farm, Ashill on 29/9/17

37.  Brochures – Parish Magazine, Clerks & Councils Direct

38.  CHEQUES – Were signed for the following – J Martin £137.83, S Sargent £89.45,

T George £38.40, Cash £10.00, Methodist Church £8.50, Post Office Ltd (SSE) £568.78, Viridor £162.60, John Rolph £50.00, Berryman £14.22.  Standing orders paid to J Martin £813.19 and K&M Lighting £164.04, and direct debit to BT £45.90.

39. PLANNING – Mr Lilly – Single storey side extension to existing gym/fitness studio at Central Garage, 42-44 High Street – APPROVED; Mr P Prince – First floor extension to 96 Lodge Road – APPROVED. 




40.              Highways – Dangerously large pothole at entrance to Haythill Lane along Hythe Road, loose manhole covers along Oak Street, wooden post near Central Garage is missing, paths along High Street and Bell Street are in very poor condition, weeds are pushing up the pavements on Newcombe Drive.  Clerk to contact Highways.


41.              Alleyway – Alleyway from Hall Drive to High Street is obstructed by bins and access to High Street has been blocked by a fence.  Clerk to write to resident.


42.              Bush – Overgrown bush belonging to 2 Newcombe Drive needs cutting back.  Clerk to write to resident.


43.              Dog Bins – Mr Lambert had been approached by a resident complaining that the dog bin along Old Brandon Road is set too far back from the roadside.  Mrs Batten said that if the bins were closer to the road they would be struck by agricultural vehicles.  Mr Cock said he had been asked if another dog bin could be sited at Munsons Lane.  Clerk to obtain price.


44.              Railings – Railings around the tree on the green outside The Chequers need a repaint.  Clerk to speak with Handyman.


45.              Denver Sluice – Mr Storey said that the Environment Agency is currently giving tours of the sluice and a talk on its workings in aid of third world water aid.




45. The motion was not proposed to close the meeting to the press and public due to the matter being discussed in an open forum under Item 18 - Allotment Report.



Next meeting to be held on Monday 9th October 2017 at 7.30 pm. Meeting declared closed 9.05 pm.