The Meeting of the Parish Council was held on Monday the 9th day of JANUARY 2017 at the Methodist Chapel, Bell Street – commencing 7.30 pm


COUNCILLORS PRESENT:  Mrs Batten (Chairwoman), Mr Lambert (Vice Chair), Mrs Bane, Mrs Mills, Mrs McGeeney, Messrs Cock, Cooper, Leamon and Rayner.  Mr Storey arrived at 7.45 pm.  Also present 3 members of the public and Sq Leader Neilds (arrived 7.55 pm).


APOLOGIES:  No apologies were received.




MINUTES:  Minutes of the last meeting were taken as read, agreed and duly signed by the Chairwoman.  


PUBLIC SPEAKING:  The meeting was suspended for 3 minutes to allow members of the public to speak.  




1.      RAF Feltwell – Sq Leader Neilds said that the Base Commander was in receipt of the letter from the Parish Council and that there could be some scope for both firing and demolition activities to take place at Stanford.  As investigations are ongoing, there is no response to the letter as yet.  Mr Lambert said that the main concern is the demolition activities and that firing is not generally an issue.  Mr Cock asked why firing took place on the 27th December as he believed that firing was not permitted on Bank Holidays.  Sq Leader said that although Bank Holiday firing is permitted, the USAF prefer not to execute this however on this occasion personnel did not realise that the 27th was a Bank Holiday.  He has since spoken to the Officer in Command and Colonel Pettus to ensure this does not happen again.  Sq Leader went on to say that last week was a busy time for flying but this has since reduced to normality.  Mrs Batten thanked Sq Leader for his time and he departed the meeting at 8.05 pm.


2.      SNT –Various Police Connect emails have been received.  Clerk said she had noticed from a Rural Crimes email that several incidents had taken place at St Mary’s Church over the

Christmas period but had been informed by Mrs Parker that these have now been dealt with.


3.      Risk Assessment – Clerk said that the Handyman has refixed the downpipe to the Changing Room wall and cut off the bolts poking out from the fence to the side of the cub hut.  He will also deal with the self-closing gate from the car park in due course.  Mrs Bane carried out the inspection report earlier in the day.  She said that the car park needs attention especially in boggy areas.  The climbing frame and the baby swing need a good clean.   Mrs Batten said this will all be dealt with in the Spring.  The hinge in the car park gate to the play area is rusty and needs looking at and there is graffiti on the teen shelter.  Clerk to inform Handyman.  There are weeds on the path to the Changing Rooms and the tennis court needs weeding and lines repainting.  Next inspection to be carried out by Mr Cock.


4.      Balance Sheet – No queries.


5.      Allotment Pest Control – Report received for December.


6.      NALC – Weekly newsletters and updates have been circulated.




7.      Skate Park – Mrs Bane addressed a question raised during Public Speaking as to why the Parish Council had agreed to contribute money towards the construction of the skate park when it had been stated that the skate park would be paid for by fundraising and grants.  Mrs Bane said that at that time, she had not realised the grant application would be more successful if the Parish Council were prepared to contribute something towards the project.  Mrs Bane said that £5000 is the minimum amount and she felt that as the skate park is something that can be used by all generations of the village, this figure is justifiable.


8.      Briefing sessions (i) Local Plan – Site Allocations & Development Management Policies Development Plan Document (ii) 5 year land supply – No further news.  


9.      Highways – Bollards outside Hall Farm Close have been installed but Mr Lambert stated that they should also have been sited to prevent drivers from parking over the water meter covers.  He also pointed out that drivers still park so as to impair the view of those pulling out of the junction.  Clerk to write to Highways.  Clerk has been informed by the Highways Officer that according to his colleague Andy Wallace, white lines are not needed on Hythe Road due to the road width.  Mr Storey advised Clerk to write to Tom McCabe at County Hall about these matters and said he would also take the matter forward.  Clerk has spoken with Stephanie Robins about the speeding motorcyclist and this is now in hand.  Clerk has emailed Highways Officer about the dangerous siting of the poles along Southery Road and this matter has been passed to the Street Works department.  Gruts still have not been filled.  Clerk to contact Highways.  


10.  Street Light Replacement – Clerk said that the two lights are due to be raised during the next week or so.  Mrs Bane asked if the Councillors could take a look at the current street lights so that a decision can be made at the next meeting about which lights are to be replaced next.  Clerk to bring list of street lights to the next meeting.


11.  Ranger Visit – Clerk has still not heard back from the Rangers regarding lack of work taking place around the village.  Mr Storey said this was not good enough and asked the Clerk to prepare list of work that is outstanding so that he could investigate.


12.  War Memorial – Re-lettering work scheduled for March 2017.  Ongoing.


13.  ‘STOP’ Signs – Mrs Batten said these are still needed as this junction is very dangerous.  Mr Storey will speak to Norfolk County Council about this.


14.  Tree – Clerk read out email from the Natural Environment Team at Norfolk County Council advising that the tree will be inspected by 23 January 2017.


15.  Complaint – No further complaints have been received regarding disruption caused by deliveries.


16.  Explosions from Base – See Item 1.


17.  Adopt a Kiosk/Defibrillator – Mr Rayner said he had contacted Martin Reynolds of the Community Heart Trust regarding a formal quotation for a defibrillator and cabinet.  Mr Reynolds had asked him to consider purchasing two defibrillators due to the size of the village and advised that the National Lottery is currently awarding grants for defibrillators.  Mrs Batten asked Mr Rayner to obtain further information.




18.  Feltwell Senior Football Club – Both sets of keys have now been returned.


19.  Dog Bin – Clerk has written to the owner of the fence beside the Chinese requesting permission for the dog bin to be attached to it but has heard nothing back.  Clerk to follow up with a telephone call.  Clerk also waiting to hear back from John Hussey at the Borough Council regarding whether a licence needs to be obtained for both bins. 


20.  Email re Speeding – Mr Lambert said that the Speed Awareness Camera had been in operation on Friday 6th January.


21.  Vandalised Dog Bin – Vandalised dog bin outside Manor Park Estate has been replaced with a new one.


22.  Dogs on Playing Field – Clerk has been informed by the Borough Council that Feltwell was not included in the original dog control order.  An update will be given following a review of responses to the proposed amendment to include all fenced in children’s play/recreational areas.


23.  Hedge cutting – the Base – Stephanie Robins has advised the Clerk that Rene Garner will inspect the hedge and if necessary get the contractor to address this at the start of the winter maintenance program this month.


24.  Clerk’s Wages – Payment by standing order to commence April 2017.


25.  Grass Cutting Contract – Following correspondence from the Borough Council advising an increase in cuts this season from 6 to 12 in some areas following a survey carried out last year, and advising that if a parish takes on the responsibility of its own grass cutting and grounds maintenance service then the land needs to be licensed to them and that it is too late for this to happen this year, it was agreed to only send out the original specification.  One tender has been received so far, deadline is 31st January 2017.


26.  Complaint re Dog Mess- Mrs Lilycrop, headteacher at Feltwell Primary School, has kindly agreed to run a ‘No Dog Fouling’ poster competition in conjunction with the Borough Council and will display winning posters, designed by the children, along the school fence.  Clerk has obtained some A5 signs which Mrs Lilycrop has agreed can be attached to the fence also and some A6 stickers which can be stuck to telegraph posts and traffic signs.




27.  Norfolk Police Connect – Various emails received and circulated 

28.  Op Randall Rural Crime – Newsletters received and circulated as appropriate

29.  Norfolk County Council – Emails received – Single Issue Silica Sand Review of the Minerals Site Specific Allocations DPD - Notification of Submission and availability of documents for inspection.  Further information can be found at; People in Norfolk encouraged to make small changes to become healthier in 2017

30.  Samaritans King’s Lynn- Letter with poster asking for volunteers – put on notice board 31. Norfolk Accident Rescue Service – Letter – Request for funding; Email re rural emergency first aid workshops – sent to Parish Magazine

32.  Civic Voice – Email – Free training in Norfolk to protect local war memorial

33.  Brochures – Parish Magazine; Barcham Trees – Comprehensive brochure “Time for Trees: A guide to species selection for the UK”; Clerks & Councillors Direct


34.  CHEQUES – Were signed for the following – J Martin £833.84, S Sargent £73.40,

T George £38.64, Cash £10.00, Methodist Church £17.00, Viridor £138.12, Post Office Ltd (PAYE) £220.08, Post Office Ltd (SSE) £445.07, Post Office Ltd (SSE) £36.52, John Rolph £50.00, Anglian Water £78.95, Glasdon UK £103.82.

35. PLANNING – J W Spencer Farm Ltd: Proposed Poultry Unit at Methwold Airfield, Brandon Road, Methwold – OBJECTION due to the volume of construction and agricultural traffic this will generate through Feltwell and the smell the poultry unit will create, all in favour.




35.  Highways – Potholes on Munsons Place, near the Oak Garden and near the chapel gates along Bell Street.  There are also loose chippings on Newcombe Drive from the resurface work that need sweeping.  Clerk to contact Highways.


36.  Overhanging Hedge – A resident has reported an overhanging hedge along the alleyway between Archer’s Avenue and Curtis Drive.  This is blocking the light from the lamp post at the end of the lane.  Clerk to contact owner.


Next meeting to be held on Monday 13th February 2017 at 7.30 pm. Meeting declared closed 8.40 pm.