Situated on Oak Street, just around the corner from The Oak, the almshouses were built in 1819.
|The left hand photo shows that the almshouses were originally built as a row of 8 'bedsits'. The Trustees of the Moundeford Charity converted them into 4 one-bedroom cottages in 1994, seen in the right hand photo. The Almshouses "were endowed by Sir Edmund Moundeford in 1642 for poor aged and impotent people inhabitants of Feltwell." Left photo provided by Mr. C. Cock.|
The Unveiling of the Village Sign
Donated to the village by the Archaeological and Historical Society.
From right. Sir Edmund
|From a newspaper of the time comes this report.
by dozens of villagers, the Lord Lieutenant for Norfolk, Sir Edmund Bacon, unveiled
Feltwell village sign on Saturday.
|Read A. J. Orange's sign design
The sign, which was carved by Mr. Harry Carter, art master at
Hamond's Grammar School, Swaffham and maker of many villages signs all over East Anglia,
was designed to depict several aspects of Feltwell's history.