after A. J. Orange.
End of 7th century. First Saxon Church built on St. Nicholas site.
|c1066- 1072||New Norman Church replaces Saxon Building on site of St. Nicholas.|
|1085||ALVEVA. Saxon lady who owned part of Feltwell and Hockwold at the time of the Norman Conquest. Her husband was the Earl of Mercia, one of the five great Earls who between them held the whole of England during the reign of Edward the Confessor.|
|1086||DOMESDAY BOOK. Feltwell village recorded as Feltwella. St Nicholas is he only church in the Hundred of Grimshoe.|
|1202||First Rectors recorded at St Nicholas and St Mary's churches.|
|SLEVESHOLM PRIORY (CLUNIAC) - Methwold Fen - founded by Earl Warren during the reign of Stephen.|
|1204||Bishop of Ely held weekly market in Feltwell.|
|1277||First mention of any buildings in Feltwell erected for the purpose of MILLING. There was also a mention of a Water Mill by the bridge - probably a drainage mill on the fens.|
|1287||FELTWELL FAIR traced as an established custom held annually on 20/21st November.|
|1316||NOMINA VILLARUM was drawn up for military purposes whereby each township had to provide 1 foot soldier for the army.|
|1348/9||BLACK DEATH reduced the population in England by about one-third.|
|Side-Aisles and Clerestory added to St Nicholas.|
|1460||OSBERT MOUNDEFORD died.|
|1463||Adam Moundeford died 7th March.|
|1479||Osbert Moundeford died 1st January.|
|1494||St Mary's Church tower and bells damaged by fire. St Nicholas Nave destroyed by fire and rebuilt.|
|1516||Porch built at St. Nicholas.|
|1520||MARGARET MOUNDEFORD, wife of Francis Moundeford, died 26th March.|
|1552||'Inventory of the Church Goods' showed 3 bells in St Nicholas Church.|
|1579||EDWARD ATMERE, a shepherd, established the Atmere Trust in his will.|
|1603||SIR EDMUND DE MOUNDEFORD received his Knighthood.|
|1630||FABIAN STEDMAN, the 'Father of Bell-Ringing' believed to have been baptised in St Nicholas Church. There is no record as the registers were destroyed by fire.|
|1642||ALMSHOUSES endowed by Sir Edmund Moundeford (finally built in 1819).
The Moundeford Charity Trust originated on 10-9-1642.
|Michael DARBIE a travelling Bell Founder cast bells in the former pond in Fair Close, hence Bell Street and the former Bell Inn.|
|1664||Fire broke out at the West End of the village and burned all the street.
Registers belonging to St Nicholas Church destroyed in the fire. (Thought to be in the
house of Henry Fisk B.A. Curate-in-charge of St Mary's and St Nicholas.
Feltwell GRAMMAR SCHOOL founded by Henry Fish B.A. master at the school.
|1729||Rev. THOMAS RAWLINS CHARITY set up under the terms of his will dated 26-8-1729|
|1737||ROBERT CLOUGH CHARITY founded on 6-6-1737|
|1771||'POST MILL' belonged to a person named Jacumb.|
|1781||A Deed dated 17-7-1781 mentions a 'Stone Bridge' at the Quay at the foot of Short Beck.|
|1783||20 people, men, women and children, set near two acres of corn in the day.|
|1784||22-24 Bell Street known as 'Sellewings'.|
|1801||FIRST CENSUS. Population of England - 8,873,000, population of Feltwell - 948.|
|4-6-1805||Benefices of St Nicholas and St Mary's consolidated.|
|1811||WESLEYAN CHAPEL built in garden of 'Laurels'. Sunday School established.|
|1819||ALMSHOUSES built in Oak Street.|
|1827||Agreement drawn up at The Cock Inn to inflict fines on straying animals placed in the village pounds.|
|1828||Mrs Sarah Archer dies aged 101. Buried in Feltwell 18-11-1828|
|1831||Rev E. B. SPARKE pays for stained glass windows to be installed in St Mary's Church.|
|1834||Thorough repairs to St Nicholas.|
|1841||Census. Common rights to dig 1200 turves annually also 6 cattle on West Common.|
|1847||MISS PLEASANCE CLOUGH CHARITY founded 12-6-1847.|
|GLEANER'S BELL tolled for £1 per annum.|
|1854||BIG SCHOOL built.
NEW ROADS. Five miles and two furlongs of new roads were laid in Feltwell. A new stretch of road was made from the junction of LONG LANE and LEONARD's LANE, over what was previously known as MIDDLE DROVE, to POPPYLOT.
|11-1855||Last marriage solemnised at St Nicholas.|
|1860||TOWER MILL erected in Wilton Road.|
|1861||Census held nationally.|
|1862||NORTH CHAPEL and THATCHED CHANCEL demolished on St Nicholas Church by
LAWN HOUSE built on land with Grange View Cottages.
|1864||St Nicholas closed for services other than funerals.|
|1875||Catherine Newcombe died aged 88. Buried in Clough Vault. Last person to be buried in St Mary's Church.|
|1878||MOUNDEFORD CHARITY rules and regulations drawn up.|
|1879||Rev. E. B. SPARKE and JOHN JACOB distributed the sum of £17-5shillings to 10 claimants who had been the sufferers by the late fires in Feltwell.|
|1883||CHEQUERS INN. Landlord was Robert William RICE.|
|1889||Miss Nellie BEAMIS (born 1879), last person known to have tolled the Gleaner's Bell for 6d (old pence) a day.|
|1890||HANDBELLS. The church bellringers [aid for the re-casting and tuning of the set of 12 handbells.|
|1893||'THE WELCOME' built in St Mary's Street. Owned by the RICE family for many years.|
|1895||OIL LAMPS. Twenty-seven new oil lamps were ordered for the village.
POST MILL wrecked beyond repair.
|1898||ST NICHOLAS CHURCH TOWER COLLAPSES.|
|1899||Travelling Dentist attended to allcomers with the 'Drummer' who played a loud tattoo on his drum at the crucial moment when the tooth was drilled.|