Whilst searching amongst the historical records of Mr. 'Pip'
Orange the Chairman of the Archaeological and Historical Society, Mr. Ken Stowell, came
upon this collection of extracts. Unfortunately there is no date attached but in his note
Pip assures us that they are from genuine letters sent to the Pensions Office. The
spelling and punctuation are original.
- Dear Sirs, I have been in bed 3 weeks with Dr. Brown - can I try Dr. Smith? I don't feel
- I cannot get sic pay. I have sic children, can you tell me why this is? This is my eight
child. What are you going to do about it?
- Mrs. B. has no clothes. Has not had any for over a year. The clergy has been visiting
- In reply to your letter I have already cohabited with your officers, and so far without
- I am glad to say that my usbin, wot was reported missing is now dead.
- I am forwarding my marriage certificate and 2 children one of which was a mistake as you
- Unless I get my husbins money I shall be forced to leave an immortal life.
- I am writing these few lines for Mrs. J. who cannot write herself. She expects to be
confined next week and can do with it.
- I am sending you my marriage certificate and six children. I had 7, one died which was
baptized on arf a sheet of notepaper by Rev. Thomas.
- Please find out if my husband is dead, as the man I am now living with wont eat or do
anything until he is sure.
- In reply to your letter I have given birth to a boy weighing 10 ppounds, is this
- You have changed my little boy into a girl, will this make any difference?
- Please send my money ay once as I have fallen into errors with my landlord.
- I have no children since my husband is a bus driver and works all day and night.
- In accordance with your instructions I have given birth to twins in the enclosed
- I want my money as quick as you can send it. I have been in bed with the Doctor for a
week and he doesn't seem to be doing me much good. If things don't improve I shall have to
get another doctor.
- Re your dental enquiry, the teeth on the top are alright, but the ones in my bottom are
- I ave not received any pay since my husband went nowhere.
- We have received yours truly. I am his grandmother and his grandfather and he was
brought up and born in answer to yours.
- My Bill has been in charge of a spittoon, will I get any more pay?
- Will you send my ristwatch. He fell killed in action.
- I shall bring my son round so that you can see he is the real one although I am not his
- You ask if my son was born in wedlock. No, he was born in Dewsbury.
Back to Written