Home to FeltwellTour Feltwell Today Tour Old Feltwell See Feltwell's History Read Feltwell's History RAF Feltwell Memorial Pages Special Photo Sets
Feltwell's Timeline
Historical InfoLoops Photo of the Month Feltwellians Worldwide Feltwell Links

A Brief History of St. Nicholas Church, Feltwell
Article one in the St. Nicholas Loop

End of 7th century First Saxon Church built
c1066 -1072 New Norman Church replaces Saxon building
1086 St Nicholas only church in the Hundred of Grimshoe
1400-1500 Side-Aisles added, Clerestory added
1494 Nave destroyed by fire and rebuilt
1516 Porch built
4/6/1805 Benefices of St Nicholas and St Mary consolidated.
1834 Thorough repairs undertaken
11/1855 Last marriage solemnised
1862 Chancel and vestry removed by Canon Sparke
1864 Closed for services other than funerals.
1898 Tower collapses
1924 Reopened on Ascension Day (see below)
c1950 Used (in winter) as difficult to heat St Mary’s
1959 Licensed for marriages
12/1959 First marriage for 100yrs
1973 Declared redundant

A short article from 1924

Great improvements have recently been made to the interior of St Nicholas Church, Feltwell. The rector of St Mary’s, with the consent of the church council, has undertaken the responsibility of erecting an altar, to which is added a communion table at the east end, while at the western end a pulpit and reading desk have been erected, and a portion to the right of the altar has been curtained off for use as a vestry. On the south-east corner of the church, a bell has been erected. The seating accommodation has been largely augmented. After having been closed, with the exception of use as a mortuary chapel, for upwards of sixty years, the church was reopened on Ascension Day.

Continue on the St. Nicholas Loop or go to Written Records or Join the Tour