Home to FeltwellTour Feltwell Today Tour Old Feltwell See Feltwell's History Read Feltwell's History RAF Feltwell Memorial Pages Special Photo Sets
Feltwell's Timeline
Historical InfoLoops Photo of the Month Feltwellians Worldwide Feltwell Links

Year Picker (Use the Back button to return to this point)

1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959

1950

  St Nicholas used, in winter, as difficult to heat St Mary's.

1951

1952

  FEN FLOODS cause serious damage.

17 Nov

21st Anniversary Dinner of Feltwell and District Branch, of the British Legion.

1953

xx

Feltwell (South) Hall occupied by some of the employees of Weasenham Farms Co. Ltd. Mainly Displaced Persons as a result of the War.

xx

Infant School no longer required for educational purposes.

25. Nov

Induction of new Rector, Rev. Roger Cockayne Frith.

1954

xx

Council Houses built in Long Lane during the late 1940’s to be named Western Close

3 July

End of food rationing (imposed January 194 )

xx

Capt. H. F. Hardy of Denton’s Lodge, for many years a Churchwarden, had left the Parish.

xx

50 given to St. Mary’s out of the funds remaining on the winding-up of Feltwell Nursing Association.

1955

xx

Trees being felled along the Lodge Road.

xx

New landlords of the Cock, West End and Ship public houses.

xx

New Visitors book presented to St. Mary’s Church by Mr. J.W. Southgate to replace the one stolen last year.

24 Jan

Mr. Charlesworth, Secretary of the P.C.C., resigned as he was about to leave Feltwell.

Sept

Church Clock re-gilded for 30.

Nov

Part of St. Mary’s roof repaired.

1956

Jan

Rev. A. P, V. Daubeney, Treasurer of the P.C.C., resigned. Mr. Basil S. Vincent appointed.

March

Mr George H. Lawrence appointed Peoples' Warden, Mr. E. Baker having left Feltwell. Rector's Warden: - Mr. Basil S. Vincent.

xx

Elm trees between St. Nicholas Church & Hythe Road considered unsafe.

1957

xx

Annual Church Fetes had been held in Mrs Swann's garden (Beck House) for many years. (Previously held in the gardens of the (old) Rectory.)

4 Nov

Gale. West Doors of St Mary's blown open, carpet rolled up like a Swiss Roll. Wind lifted slates off the roof at the East end leaving large gaps through which rain poured the following night. At St. Nicholas - greater havoc, even more slates blown off. (This roof had been repaired a few weeks before).

1958

July

Proceeds of a hare-shoot (arranged by local farmers) given to the Church to augment the Churchyard Fund

Oct

Rev. R. C. Frith to be RAF Chaplain at St. George's Church (RAF Feltwell)

1959

March

Electric Blower unit installed in St. Mary's Organ.

xx

Winter services had been held in St. Nicholas Church for a number of years. On those Sundays when Banns had to be called, one service had to be held in the much larger church of St. Mary’s. To avoid this St. Nicholas was re-licensed for Marriages.
12-1959 First marriage for a hundred years at St Nicholas.
Chronology Homepage

1960 -1969 WB01512_.gif (115 bytes)